Are Locksmiths Still Necessary?09/10/2013 Back To Blog
Many are likely to think of the word "locksmith" as a Medieval or ancient person and not someone who continues to provide important services in modern society. There are those who think of locksmithing as an ancient industry associated with blacksmithing—something that involves fire and molten metal being shaped into a useful object. It is important to point out that locksmiths are still important in modern times and the term has not even changed.
Modern day locksmiths are no longer involved in the actual production of individual locks and keys. However, the range of roles or services they do has expanded. Now, they do the following functions:
- Installation of locks for residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial customers
- Lock repair covering various types of locks including those used in doors, gates, vehicles, rooms, cabinets, safety deposit boxes, and vaults.
- Lock rekeying and reconfiguration especially for antique or heritage houses or buildings, wherein replacements are preferably avoided
- Duplication of keys for different types of locks. This also includes the duplication of car keys and keys of other motorized vehicles.
- Provide emergency lockout services for homes, offices, commercial facilities, or those who have been locked out of their vehicles
- Security system design, installation, and servicing. This is done by advanced locksmiths who are knowledgeable in modern security systems. Locksmithing is not limited to mechanical locks. The lock and key systems served by locksmiths include electronic or digital ones.
Locksmiths are definitely still necessary. It is unlikely for them to lose their importance. Even with the progress of technology, locksmiths will continue to serve their roles as the specialists of lock and key systems. The majority of locksmith companies in La Jolla will continue to be important to residential, commercial, and industrial customers for as long as the need to secure or protect properties remains. As long as locks—mechanical or electronic—are still being used, the services of locksmiths will still be needed.